Photography Blogger: 100 Headscarves, 1 Woman – Portraits by Sander Stoepker

Photography Blogger
A Source of Photography Inspiration
100 Headscarves, 1 Woman – Portraits by Sander Stoepker
Jun 18th 2013, 13:02


Het Hoofdboek is a collection of 100 portraits by Dutch photographer Sander Stoepker in collaboration with A Cup of Culture, a charity that promotes social and cultural awareness. The title ‘Hoofdboek’ (literally translated as ‘Head Book’) is a play on the Dutch word ‘hoofddoek’, which means ‘headscarf’. This title describes exactly what the book is on the surface: portraits of a Muslim woman wearing and describing different headscarves she owns. Below the surface, however, the book turns a sensitive topic in Dutch society, immigration and Islam, into an accessible conversation about culture, beliefs and identity.

To see more portraits, visit the website or facebook page of Het Hoofdboek. To see more of Sander’s photography, visit his website.

Note: the captions are originally in Dutch and have been translated.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Mijn lievelingshoofddoek.
ENGLISH: My favorite headscarf.

headscarf het hoofdboek

De laatste keer droeg ik deze op een boot. De kleur van mijn hoofddoek pas ik dus ook aan de omgeving aan.
ENGLISH: The last time I wore this was on a boat. So I also match the color of my headscarf with the surroundings.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Mooi, maar een geknoopte hoofddoek kan ik nooit lang dragen. Dat drukt teveel op mijn voorhoofd en dan krijg ik hoofdpijn.
ENGLISH: Beautiful, but I can never wear a knotted headscarf for long. It pushes too much on my forehead, and then I get a headache.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Deze komt uit Mekka. Mijn tante kreeg hem van de moeder van de vrouw van mijn oom. Mijn tante gaf hem via mijn moeder aan mij: “Voor de dunne dochter van Saida.”
ENGLISH: This one comes from Mecca. My aunt got it from the mother of the wife of my uncle. My aunt gave it via my mother to me: “For the slender daughter of Saida.”

headscarf het hoofdboek

Mijn ambitie is om de Nobelprijs voor de Vrede te winnen. Als president Obama een Nobelprijs kan winnen ‘for just being him, we all can win’. Maar ik moet best weleens lachen om mezelf hoor.
ENGLISH: My ambition is to win the Noble Peace Prize. If President Obama can win a Noble Prize ‘for just being him, we all can win.’ But I do really have to laugh at myself sometimes.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Als ik deze op heb denk ik altijd aan Sicilië. Was daar met mijn zusje. Ik dacht dat ik scooter kon rijden. Gaf gas en remde tegelijk. Tegen auto aan. Opgenomen in ziekenhuis. Dacht dat ik dood ging. Een beetje drama queen ben ik wel.
ENGLISH: When I wear this one, I always think of Sicily. Was there with my sister. I thought I could drive a scooter. Accelerated and braked at the same time, against a car, and was hospitalized. Thought I was dying. I’m a bit of a drama queen.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Deze kreeg ik van mijn oudste zus. Zij heeft een tijd een hoofddoek gedragen, maar nu niet meer.
ENGLISH: I got this one from my oldest sister. She wore a headscarf for a while, but doesn’t anymore.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Moslima ben je ook zonder hoofddoek. Mijn zusjes zijn daar een voorbeeld van. Zij bidden, vasten en belijden het geloof net zoals ik.
ENGLISH: You can be a Muslim even without a headscarf. My sisters are an example of that. They pray, fast and live their faith just like I do.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Zwemmen doe ik zonder hoofddoek. Op afgelegen strandjes. Dat is niet in Nederland.
ENGLISH: I swim without a headscarf. On remote beaches. That doesn’t happen in the Netherlands.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Bloemetjes. Lentegevoel!
ENGLISH: Flowers. Springtime!

headscarf het hoofdboek

Ik heb nooit een negatieve opmerking gehad over mijn hoofddoek. Dat heeft me best wel verbaasd. Komt denk ik door hoe je jezelf opstelt en presenteert.
ENGLISH: I’ve never had a negative comment about my headscarf. That’s actually really surprised me. I think it depends on how you compose and present yourself.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Wit draag ik niet veel. Saai. Zwart vind ik krachtig.
ENGLISH: I don’t wear white very often. Boring. I think black is powerful.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Dit soort hoofddoeken wordt gedragen door krachtige vrouwen. Een vrouw zoals ik ook wil worden. De presentatrices van Al Jazeera dragen deze ook.
ENGLISH: This kind of headscarf is worn by powerful women. The kind of woman I also want to become. The anchorwomen of Al Jazeera wear this one too.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Nederlandse meiden lopen graag in dezelfde kleren rond. Voor moslima’s met hoofddoeken geldt hetzelfde. We zijn niet zo creatief hier.
ENGLISH: Dutch girls like to walk around in the same clothes. It’s the same for Muslim girls with headscarves. We aren’t so creative here.

headscarf het hoofdboek

Oude dames hoofddoek. Mamma en mammie hebben deze ook. Ha, ha…
ENGLISH: Old lady’s headscarf. Mom and mammy have this one too. Ha, ha…

headscarf het hoofdboek

Hoofdboek. Een glossy magazine over de wereld achter de hoofddoek.
ENGLISH: Hoofdboek. A glossy magazine about the world behind the headscarf.

*Download our free photography app for iPhone and iPad*

Related Stories

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Contact

Talk to us

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Dolores iusto fugit esse soluta quae debitis quibusdam harum voluptatem, maxime, aliquam sequi. Tempora ipsum magni unde velit corporis fuga, necessitatibus blanditiis.

Address:

9983 City name, Street name, 232 Apartment C

Work Time:

Monday - Friday from 9am to 5pm

Phone:

595 12 34 567

fb